JHN Student Leadership
Here at JHNA we love watching our children ‘let their lights shine’. We have an active Student Leadership Team made up of children from across the Key Stages, who are selected to represent the school through a student vote or teacher selection. The children are encouraged to make decisions, plan and organise activities and make suggestions that will help to improve our school even further. At the heart of our student leadership structure are the fundamental British Values of: law, individual liberty, democracy and mutual respect for and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs. Through this, children are able to experience what these feel like in action, such as democracy where children are given the opportunity to campaign, speak to their peers, talk to members of the senior leadership team and voice their opinions in assemblies for all children to hear. The school (or classes) are then given their chance to cast their own votes and have time to celebrate their elected leader and the efforts of all.
JHN Academy will:
- Provide a wide range of participation and leadership opportunities
- Maximise the number and range of students undertaking leadership roles.
- Provide recognition of all Student Leadership roles
- Encourage the development of student participation and leadership skills through classroom practice
- Provide students with access to key staff for support and guidance
- Develop student participation and leadership skills
- Celebrate the achievements of all students
At the start of the year the children in classes nominate two School Council members per year group, whose role it would be:
- To represent our peers when we vote on issues and situations at JHNA.
- To make our school a better place by suggesting improvements.
- To give all children at JHNA a chance to use their voice.
The School Council meet every two weeks with Miss Knight and Mr Linden to discuss any issues that have been raised by their peers, what resolutions can be put in place, discuss upcoming whole school events and the council’s role in them and think about how they can make the school a better place.
There will be a Head Student of School and Assistant- head Student of School who will run the School Council. These will be two Year 6 students who have campaigned across the school in order to win the democratic vote of the pupils at JHNA.
In Year 6, at the start of the year, the children write letters to apply to be House captains. They outline why they think they would be best for this job (including skills and any relevant experience) and what they would like to achieve this year in order to be an excellent house captain.
Their role is to:
- Run house events across the school
- Run house assemblies fortnightly
- Lead sports day and other house activities
- Count up house points on a weekly basis
- Foster a sense of community throughout JHN
In Year 6 the children are given the opportunity to be Learning Leaders in four areas: Maths, Reading, Writing and Values.
As Learning Leaders the children:
- Monitor the subject across the school
- Lead competitions across the school
- Get more involvement from the whole school community
- Run small groups with children from other year groups to support them in their specialist area
At the start of the year each class nominates a Science leader for their class.
As Science Champions the children:
- Lead and support lunch time science clubs
- Support the planning of science activities and investigations in science clubs and experiences
- Support the selection of winners in science competitions within class and through the whole school
- Support and lead the planning during ‘Science Week’ and ‘Outdoor Learning Day’
- Support the creation and upkeep of class Big Science Floor books
- Take part in science club committee meetings
- Raise the profile of science and make Science teaching and learning great at J.H.N.
At the beginning of the academic year, some Year 4 and 5 children are chosen to become the Worship Warriors.
Their role is to:
- Lead prayer in school Collective Worship
- Support termly church visits
- Work alongside Revd Margreet to embed our vision throughout the school
- Talk confidently about Religious Education at JHNA and gather the voice of their peers
Our Student Leadership Team
The votes are in! First, we want to congratulate every child who has been through the election and application process. Miss Screaton, Mrs Weston, Miss Knight and Miss Simpson had an incredibly tough time making choices and the votes from the chidren were so close. Everyone truly ‘Let their lights shine’ in this difficult process of democracy.
With that said, meet the student leadership team for 2023 – 2024