At the John Henry Newman Academy we aim to provide opportunities for parents, caerers and families to develop not just academically but as a whole. We are lucky to work with a number of businesses, charities and local partners to provide our families and community with ways to learn new skills and develop their confidence.
For parents and members of the community we are running:
- Stay & Play takes place on Monday and Tuesday mornings in the hall from 9-10:15am. The sessions are for 0-5’s and their parents/carers, no connection with the school is required. Sessions are very inclusive, everyone from the local community is welcome to join in the fun. Please join us for ride-on’s, mini trampolines, books, toys and more! Our Tuesday session is also attended by a representative from The Oxford Hub who is on hand to support parents with advice and guidance on a wide range of life’s challenges.
- We are currently hosting a family learning course, “Managing Feelings and Behaviour”. This is delivered by Abingdon and Witney College and involves 6 weeks of 2-hour sessions. It offers parents/carers the opportunity to learn some of the coping strategies to help guide your children through experiencing big feelings and emotions, that can, at times, feel overwhelming. We hope to expand what we can offer in terms of family learning once the Hub is up and running, so please keep an eye out!
- In collaboration with Homestart and Growing Minds we host a Slow Cooker group. This is a weekly group of around 8 parent/carers, running for 6 weeks. Families receive a free slow cooker on week one, then food for a family dinner for the remaining 5 weeks. Food is prepared in a fun and relaxed environment which is then taken home to cook for that evening’s family dinner. We have enjoyed meals such as Cowboy Casserole, and different takes on Hotpot and Chilli recipes. If you would like to register interest in joining, please email email@example.com.
- Achieve Oxfordshire – a chance for children and parents to come along together on a Wednesday to learn about healthy lifestyles and how to exercise together.
If you are interested in signing up for one of these courses you can sign up through this helpful google form. You can sign up for:
- Managing children’s Feelings and Behaviour
- Explaining Phonics and Early Reading
- Planning healthy meals on a budget
- Emotional Health: You and your family
- Supporting your child with Autism
- Employability – writing a CV, how to fill out an application form, preparing for interviews
- Supporting your child with learning need e.g. Dyslexia
- Keeping children safe on mobile phones (how to introduce boundaries around phone use)
- Digitial skills (computer basics, how to search the internet etc)
- Keeping up with Maths (current teaching methods and terms explained)
Helpful links for Parents and Carers