John Henry Newman Academy has a school uniform and we expect the children to be dressed appropriately in clothes and footwear that enable them to take full part in all activities with fastenings that they can cope with themselves.
To ensure we have an affordable uniform, all our items can be purchased from most supermarkets and high street stores such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s, ASDA and Primark. Local to our school, Sainsbury’s Heyford Hill stocks all our items, as well as Asda Living in Cowley Centre.
For second hand items, The Oxfam Superstore often has school uniform to purchase and we will also have second-hand uniform sales throughout the year.
Support will be offered to families if they cannot afford the uniform.
We have a steam press in school where we can apply the school logo badge. Badges can be purchased via ParentMail for £1.00. The school office can apply the badges for you to sweatshirts and cardigans. Please purchase the badges first and bring in the uniform in a named plastic bag. The office will contact you once the uniform is ready for collection.
School uniform should be worn every day with the exception of PE days where PE kits can be worn.
should be selected from the following items:
- plain black trousers or shorts – Required
- plain black skirt or pinafore dress – Required
- pale blue checked dress in the summer time – Optional
- white polo shirt or blouse – Required
- plain navy sweatshirt or cardigan with school badge * – Required – school badge, optional
- plain black school shoes, closed toe sandals or plain black trainers – Required
- plain white or black socks – Required
- plain black or navy head scarves, white can be worn in the summer – Optional
PE and sports clothing:
- plain white round neck t-shirt – Required
- plain black shorts or PE skirt – Required
- plain black jogging bottoms – Required
- non-marking plain black or white trainers / plimsolls – Optional
- plain white or black sports socks – Required
- swimming hat (available from the school office for £3.00) for swimming terms (Years 2 – 6) – Required
We kindly ask that the children do not come in with branded sports gear on their PE days.
Jewellery and Hair Accessories:
- Hair accessories should be discrete with long hair tied back with simple hair bands or clips
- Jewellery, with the exception of earrings, should not be worn unless there is a significant cultural reason for an item. Requests for a child to wear jewellery should be made to the Head of School
- Earrings may be worn, but they need to be discreet, small studs, one per ear. This is for health and safety reasons. Parents are asked to ensure that if ears are going to be pierced, that this is done at the start of the summer holidays so that PE and swimming lessons are not missed. We ask all earrings to be removed on PE days and for swimming. If a child has their ears newly pierced, we will ask permission to cover these with medical tape when the child has PE